Posted on

THE HISTORIC GARDEN

In Colorno the Historic Garden is one of the most beautiful garden in Italy. It is a green area of about 11 hectares, fully fenced, which expands on a side of the Palace and it is connected, through and arched vault, to the large courtyard of it.

The façade facing the garden, with its wide double staircase, dominates the wide French parterre divided into large symmetrical flowerbeds designed with low boxwood hedges, which develop around a large circular fountain and which is surrounded by large citrus vases.

Both sides of the fist flowerbeds are flanked by rows of white hornbeam, with fake arched windows that offer striking views of the parterre.

Next to one of the flowerbeds stands an old specimen of Zelkova Carpinifoglia or Zelkova of Caucasus of about 150 years, survived the damage of the Second World War.

On the final part, a central staircase enter a large English-style park, the so called “romantic garden” with a suggestive lake in the center.

The garden is open every day, with free entrance, from 7.30am to 6pm on November, December, January, February and March; from 7.30am to 7pm on April, May and October; from 7.30am to 8pm on June, July, August and September.



Posted on

Other Monuments

THE CATHEDRAL OF SAINT MARGARET

The church built in the mid-fifteenth century in late Gothic style, remained unchanged in the facade while in the apse was restored in the nineteenth century.

The interior has noteworthy furnishing: the altarpiece depicting the Martyr dome of Saint Margaret by an unknown Emilian painter of the second half of the eighteenth century, the Madonna and Child, Saint John and SS. Apollonia, Lucia, Agata by Alessandro Bedoli dating back to the seventh decade of the 1500’s.

Between 1660 and 1666 was added the Chapel of SS. Sacrament with a set of stuccoes by Domenico and Leonardo Reti and, in 1668, the canvas depicting the Last Supper by Giovanni Venazzi from Pesaro. Noteworthy are also the marble artifacts by the same artists who worked for the Church of Saint Liborio.

The interior owns the monument to Pier Luigi Belloni, a patron of Colorno, sculpted in the neoclassical style by Tommaso Bandini in 1842 for the local cemetery and moved here in 1889.

VENERIA

The passion of Philip of Bourbon for hunting prompted him in 1751 to order the court architect Jean Marie Bigaud to build a Royal Veneria, a hunting lodge that housed dogs, the attendants and the necessary equipment for the driven hunting that the Duke and his retinue usually carried out in the Serraglio.

During the construction of this building, many changes were made by the architect Ennemond Alexander Petitot, who completed the work in 1775.

In the first half of the 1800’s the complex was restructured and it is composed of two lateral wings and a central building which has two floors, characterized by eight pilasters topped by a balustrade that covers the roof.

Today it is home to a recreation center.

ARANCIAIA AND MUPAC MUSEUM

The Aranciaia or “Covered house for citrus fruits in winter”, was built between 1710 and 1712 thanks to the wish of Francesco Farnese as a winter shelter of citrus vases that adorned the garden during summer.

The interior has two levels: the ground floor, divided by pillars into three naves, once was maintained at a suitable temperature thanks to a cavity in the walls in which was blown hot air produced by a fireplace. The first floor, used as a warehouse for the fodder of horses, is characterized by a suggestive game of ogival arches with oculi dating back to the first half of the nineteenth century.

Nowadays it host the MUPAC, Museum of Landscapes of Land and River, an exhibition of objects that suggest the visitor a reading of landscape as a product of knowledge of man. The museum is ordered in thematic categories and sections as agriculture, arts, crafts and house, hunting and fishing, river transport, school and music.

Posted on

Food Valley Bike

An itinerary between nature, history and eno-gastronomy

Food Valley Bike, the cycling route of the Lowland of Parma that joins Parma to Busseto.

Sport, culture and enogastronomy, all suitable for bicycle!

The itinerary of more than 70 kilometres set up a network of municipalities of Sorbolo Mezzani, Colorno, Sissa Trecasali, Roccabianca and Polesine Zibello, with a rich proposal of visits and tastings of culinary specialities of the Lowland.

A slow tourism that combine the pleasure of sport with that for cooking and art.

Bicycle, culture and gastronomy of quality come together in the Food Valley Bike.

The route starts from Parma, in the centre of the Food Valley, city of bicycle riders and temple of iconic flavours of cuisine, to get to Busseto, through the places of Giuseppe Verdi and of the films of Peppone and Don Camillo, of tortelli and salami, of cheese and of amazing protected areas.

From Parma, UNESCO City of Gastronomy and Italian Capital of Culture 2020/2021, known all over the world for Prosciutto, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and pasta, following the bank of Enza stream, pass through the town of Coenzo, reaching the Po River in the town of Mezzani, homeland of the Anolino, until Colorno, with its Ducal Palace and ALMA, the International School of Italian Cuisine.

Along the riverside, the route goes up the Po River to the West and the Land of Verdi, where the cured meats are the protagonists of the table: the Spalla Cruda in Sissa Trecasali, the Ciccioli in Roccabianca and Polesine Zibello where the king of salami is produced, the Culatello. You will arrive in Busseto, where you can taste the Spongata its traditional cake.

Download the Map

Posted on

 CYCLE TOURISM

The people of Emilia use the bicycle as a hat, which cannot be abandoned, because it is a part of the person even that it is inopportune. The bike has something of the dog on us, continues company that we takes with even though without get in, to get from the house to the coffee that is twenty meters away.”

Cesare Zavattini 19621 Explorations on the Via Emilia

Bici Parma Po

The “Bici Parma Po” cross the province of Parma from West to East intersecting many others routes: “Verdi” from the star, “The Small World” and the “Ciclotaro” nearby Gramignazzo and the Street of the Culatello di Zibello.

The landscape is the classic one of the Great River: poplars and meanders alternate with well-equipped staging points and river docks dedicated to tourism, nature areas such as the Woods of Maria Luigia in Torricella di Sissa and the Parma Morta Natural Reserve in Mezzani.

From Colorno with a small detour on the embankment of the Galasso canal, with a mixed bottom (asphalt, gravel, grass) it is possible to reach the Natural Reserve of Torrile and Trecasali.

From Colorno along the bank of Parma stream and of the Po, it is possible to reach Mezzani and then Coenzo, from where it is possible to continue on secondary roads to Sorbolo and Bogolese, just outside Parma.

Download the map of bike tours in the lowland or pick up it at the Tourist Office

Posted on

Curiosity, Colorno

Colorno celebrate the passage of Giuseppe Garibaldi

On the morning of 12th April, 1862 Giuseppe Garibaldi see foot in Colorno coming from Parma and headed to Casalmaggiore. He did not stay long, just for a quick stop to say hello to the town and then away to the land beyond the Po. The Municipality did not pay attention to expenses and built a triumphal arch at the entrance of the town, decorated the square, plentiful breakfast for nine people at the hotel Della Posta (six coachmen, one groom and two coaches), and a refreshment with sweets and “sciampagna”. To welcome the General there were the major Giovanni Maria Levacher, the council member Antonio Chevé and many other notables. The people welcomed him with great enthusiasm and a young woman, exited by his words of incitement to the fatherland, asked him if she could cut off a lock of his hair. She was certainly satisfied (it seems she was the daughter of the chemist Bocelli, who had fought with Garibaldi). It is not the only relic belonging to the General and present in the civic collection: there is the sabre donated to the General by the French government for the help given in the Prussian war with the Vosges Campaign (1870-71), received in Colorno through his doctor, Timoteo Riboli (1808-1897).

Colorno will later demonstrate its admiration for Garibaldi by dedicating to him the main square of the town and a plaque that is still seen in the same square, dated June 2, 1900, and in memory of the death occurred in Caprera on June 2, 1882.

The Garibaldians of Colorno

The contribution of the inhabitants of Colorno had been effective: 35 of them had volunteered and actively participated in the war campaigns to liberate the South. The names are in the list drawn up by the Municipality after the Unification of Italy.

We want to rememebr them all: «Guzzoni Melchiorre, Braciforte comandante Lodovico, Battioni Leopoldo, Canali Demetrio, Monici Eugenio, Giacomo Valenti, Sporta Giuseppe, Pellegrini Cipriano, Pecchioni Francesco, Gerbella Demetrio, Bocchia Pietro, Zanardi Ernesto, Zanardi Dalmazio, Zanardi Giacomo, Zanardi Giovanni, Morenghi Giuseppe, Fano Mosè, Zoni Parisi Marianna, Garzia Angelo, Geminiani Luigi, Gatti Gaspare, Marchiani Narciso, Papini Adolfo, Piccinini Nicola, Montecchi Annibale, Mazzera Pietro, Piccoli Enrico, Sichel Rutilio, Amoretti Antonio, Avanzini Giglielmo, Geminiani Antonio, Angelini Luigi, Bonazzi Luigi, Negri Luigi, Caldarini Fabiano».

It was a contribution in human strength and in money, for the decision to join the initiative “of the undefeated Our General Garibaldi for the purchase of a million rifles for the defense of Italy”. On November 3, 1859 “willing and unanimous”, the City Council had deliberated the contest of the Municipality “so striking patriotic proposal with the sum of five hundred lire”.

The history of Colorno in the portraits of Carlo Mattioli

In the hall of the City Council there are sixteen portraits of the famous painter Carlo Mattioli (born in Modena in 1911 and lived in Parma, where he died in 1944) of famous people who, as in the municipal archive, were commissioned in 1963 by Augusta Ghidiglia Quintavalle, superintendent of the National Gallery of Parma, characters “who had both by birth and political ties or culture related to the history of Colorno”, sovereigns, men of arms and church, artists and writers.

The investment by the Municipality was due to comply the Law 717 – 1949, called law “percent for art”, which, inspired by the Art. 9 of the Constitution (promotion of culture), obligates the public institutions at the time of the construction of a new building, to allocate to their landscaping a share not less than 2% of the value of the property, even with the purchase of works of art of painting or sculpture.

In 1964, the historic Longara was finally demolished and the construction of the New Town Hall was started; today it is possible to admire there the half- busts of Maria Luigia, Azzo da Correggio, Zaccaria Olivieri or the Bishop Martino da Colorno

Posted on

THE TERRITORY

The territory, which extends between the municipalities of Colorno, Sorbolo Mezzani and Torrile, has all the characteristics of the “Lowland”, a land of plain and river where the hot summer midday and the motionless afternoon fogs in autumn follow each other, always the same though different. A land good of plantation and strain, land of work and opportunity.

Giovannino Guareschi wrote: “Dense and frozen fog in winter, in summer a ruthless sun beat furiously hammered on the brains of the people and here everything is exasperated. Here political passions explode violent and the fight is hard but men always remain men and here thing happen that cannot happen anywhere else.”

Many thing have changed since the times of the so called “Mondo Piccolo” (Small World), however, that of the lowland, is always a world, which is not easy to penetrate and seize. Places where the water, the river and the plain that extends as far as the eye could see represent the protagonists of a village soul that makes this territory evocative and melancholy.

The Bassa Parmense Est is an autonomous local authority, established in 2010, which join the Municipalities of Colorno, Sorbolo Mezzani e Torrile.

Posted on

Colorno – the history

The name Colorno derives from the original position of the town at the confluence of the Lorno into the Parma stream: “Caput Lurni” at the head of the Lorno. The territory consisted of lowland lands, touched in part by the Roman colonization that affected the Parma countryside in the second century BC. In the Middle Ages, the lords of Colorno were the Bishops of Parma, to whom the Lombards had given fiefs and powers. In a bishop’s document of 1004 and in an imperial bull of 1195, specific mention is made of Colorno and its territory: initially the village consisted of a few houses around a church and the nucleus stood near the current oratory of the Madonna della Neve . The town was important for its strategic position in defense of the city of Parma against attacks from the north; so Colorno was fortified and became the property of the city municipality.

Read more

https://www.comune.colorno.pr.it